Even though tamarind is usually used in asian cooking, I’ve used it here in a Mediterranean style tart. I really like the sweet and tangy flavour and thought it would be perfect with cheese. I love all these ingredients separately but I’ve never used them together before.
As you may already know I love puff pastry for being delicious, easy to use, and amazingly versatile. It’s works so well with Mediterranean ingredients and especially cheese. I have previously posted a recipe for Mozzarella and Pesto tarts on puff pastry.
This is a simple recipe that makes a perfect starter or light lunch. Serve with a salad and some sliced meats.
Aubergine and Feta Tarts with a Tamarind Drizzle
Start to finish time: 45 minutes
150g ready rolled puff pastry
1 aubergine, sliced about 5 mm thick
1 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp tomato puree
4 tsp garlic oil
100g feta cheese
a few basil leaves
Salt & Pepper
For the drizzle:
1 tbsp tamarind paste
3 tsp sugar
1 tsp honey
a few drops of lemon
1. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
2. Lay the sliced aubergine over kitchen paper and sprinkle each slice with salt. Leave for a few minutes and then dab with more kitchen roll. Turn each slice over and do the same on the other side. Move the slices to an oven tray and drizzle with olive oil. Oven cook for 5 minutes on each side. If they start to crisp, remove from the oven.
3. Whack the oven up to 220 degrees. Cut the ready rolled puff pastry into 4 of your desired shape. Move to an oiled tray and put 1 tbsp of tomato puree and 1 tsp of garlic oil on each one. Spread with the back of a teaspoon.
4. Layer the cooked aubergine next, and then crumble the feta cheese on top. Sprinkle with black pepper and then finish with a few basil leaves torn over the top.
5. Oven cook for 10 minutes or until the pastry is golden and has risen.
6. In a bowl, add about 1 tbsp of boiled water to the tamarind paste and stir until it has all mixed. Add the sugar and honey and then put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Stir in the lemon juice.
7. When the tarts are golden and puffed, take them out the oven and drizzle the tamarind over them.
Serve hot or cold with a salad.
You might also like: